Digital Buddies – Cambridgeshire LibrariesBack to Activities
Many libraries in South Cambs run one-to-one sessions for people who need help using a computer, laptop, mobile phone or tablet. These sessions are offered by volunteers known as digital buddies. They can also help you get started with basic online tasks.
This activity is good for wellbeing because
- learning a new skill is empowering;
- getting online can help you stay connected to people and services;
- many online tasks are easy to do when you know how and having someone to show you step-by-step will boost your confidence.
How to contact
Where to go
Bar Hill Library
Great Shelford Library
Cambridge CB21 4LU
Ermine Street North
What to expect
Need help with a bus pass renewal, applying for a blue badge or uploading photos? Want to get online? Have you been given a smart phone or tablet but don’t know how to use it? Book an appointment with a digital buddy – a volunteer who can help you learn IT skills and support you with basic online tasks.
Libraries also offer free wifi, computer and internet access – if you are a member, you can book a computer here.
Digital buddies are available in the following libraries at the following times – you’ll need to book an appointment to see a digital buddy by calling 0345 045 5225 – 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday or popping in to the library when it is open. You can also use the online contact form – choose ‘Libraries’ as the service you require.
- Bar Hill Library, first Wednesday of the month 1.30-3.00pm (term time only)
- Cambourne Library – every Monday 10-12am and 1-3pm
- Great Shelford Library – every Tuesday 2pm-4pm
- Linton Library – every Thursday 2pm-3pm
- Papworth Library – every Tuesday, 10.30-12.30pm (term time only)
- Sawston Library – every Wednesday 10am-11am
- Willingham Library – second Tuesday of the month, 10.30-noon
Cambridgeshire Libraries have signed up to the National Databank, an initiative run by Good Things Foundation which provides free mobile SIM cards to anyone on a low income over the age of 18. In South Cambs, you can visit Bar Hill Library and Cambourne Library to pick up a SIM card, subject to eligibility and availability.
To find out about other things that your local library has to offer, visit this webpage.
An appointment with a digital buddy is free.