Active and Healthy 4 Life Exercise Referral SchemeBack to Support
If you are an adult with a chronic health condition, the Active & Healthy 4 Life Exercise Referral Scheme creates positive change through regular exercise with qualified instructors at sports centres across South Cambridgeshire.
How to contact
Where to go
Cambourne Fitness and Sports Centre
Comberton Sports and Arts
Impington Sports Centre
Melbourn Sports Centre
Anglian Leisure Sawston
Swavesey Village College
What to expect?
Once you’ve been referred on to the scheme, you will receive:
- an initial assessment with a qualified referral instructor;
- a personal exercise programme to follow in a gym environment;
- a progress review at the end of the first month, with guidance provided by the instructor;
- access to other classes/sessions on offer at the sports centre (providing health condition and progress means this is appropriate);
- regular contact with the instructor;
- a final assessment at 4 months with the instructor, and you’ll be discharged from the scheme.
To get the best out of the scheme, you’ll be encouraged to attend a minimum of 2 sessions per week – soon exercise will be part of your weekly routine.
All instructors are qualified to level 3 exercise referral, and will support you in ways appropriate to your medical condition.
If you are an adult with one or more of the following medical conditions, you can ask your GP or another health professional to refer you on to this scheme:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Back pain
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Joint replacement
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
The sports centres running the scheme are:
Contact Emma Reeves, Exercise Referral Instructor on 01954 714070
Contact 01223 264444
Contact Hugo, the Gym Instructor and Personal Trainer via the link above.
Contact Julie Barton, Exercise Referral Instructor on 01223 200404
Contact Simon Davies, Exercise Referral Instructor on 01763 263 313
Contact Fleur Harrower, Exercise Referral Instructor on 01223 712555
Contact Lorraine Wright, Exercise Referral Instructor on 01954 234 453
Other sports centres will be taking part in this scheme soon – check the website link above for details.
The scheme has a small monthly fee, but is supported by South Cambridgeshire District Council to make it affordable. For this you will receive:
- 2 sessions per week for 4 months;
- an initial and final assessment and a review after 1 month;
- as a member of the sports centre you will be able to access other activities/facilities as guided by the instructor.